Monday, November 10, 2008

short days and bright nights

By Sarah Teichmann


Recalling some of my recent sermons, I realize that I use the imagery of light a lot. Perhaps it corresponds with the change that we experience during this time of year. Daylight Saving Time ends and we become aware of the sun setting earlier. The days themselves feel shorter, and darkness can often feel overwhelming. This is usually the time where animals like sheep and cows, cats and dogs, and even we humans feel the seasonal effect.

So am I really preaching about seasonal photo-sensitivity? Probably not. Put simply, I think that light is really cool. Just think- Jesus Christ is called the light of the world. What does that mean to you when you hear a phrase like that?
When I hear that phrase I find myself going back to the winters I spent in Maine where the sunset at 4:30 and by 5:00 on a cloudy day there was no light to be found. It was particularly dark walking my dogs through the woods as I attempted to not veer off the trail that lay before me. Imagine if unexpectedly the sun decided to pop right back up in the middle of the night. My goodness- how amazing would that be?! All of the nocturnal animals would be asking, “What gives?” And the rooster at the near-by farm would be wondering if he missed a memo. The sun popping back up like that would really shake and stir things up. It would seem wicked crazy!

So- when we say that Christ is the light of the world- in a way it is crazy. Christ shines in the darkness, and unexpectedly, the darkness does not overcome it. All the laws and rules are changed- Jesus Christ is risen. He is risen indeed, Alleluia!

But it’s really cool because Christ passes this light onto us.
Have you ever sat around a campfire or bonfire? It’s pretty cool. There’s often marshmallows involved and if you’re lucky chocolate and graham crackers, as well. Well, it’s pretty hard to not feel the heat that is emanated from the fire. And as you’re sitting there (shoving a molten marshmallow into your mouth) you will notice how the fire’s light sheds light on all who have gathered around for its warmth.
This is like Christ in the world. Christ sheds light on us all. And we are not empty handed. We become bearers of this light. Long after the marshmallow gooey goodness has passed, Christ’s light still shines. It has been given to us in our faith and burns brightly through the day and the night.

So shine on!

1 comment:

Brother Joseph said...

Hello Sarah,

I agree about that light! We know that darkness can never overcome the light of Jesus.

Please continue to let the light of Christ burn so brightly in your life so other can see it always. I will strive to do the same each and every day.

I enjoyed reading your story. By the way, I could tell from your sermon last Sunday that you were a former Girl Scout. Your reference to the campfire confirmed it for sure.

Joseph