Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Instruments of Peace


By Joseph Murdy, Intern
“Lord, make us instruments of your peace.” –Prayer attributed to Saint Francis of Assisi

Have you ever heard a trumpet sound? Nothing can rattle our attention better than the surprising sound of a trumpet. Instruments have played a role in human society for thousands of years. They have been used to entertain us, comfort and inspire us, startle us and for some even wake us up in the morning. Violins have melted hearts, drums have been used to sound warnings and celebrate, pianos, organs and guitars sound praise to God on Sunday mornings, and trumpets have been known to bring down walls (Joshua 6:20).

This past Sunday my heart was especially touched by a little girl who came to church. When I was introduced to her she extended her arms to hug me. She hugged me and kissed my check and asked to touch my bald head. In the moment she reached out to hug me, I almost cried. Not only did she touch my bald head, she touched the inner part of my soul. In her small arms I felt the love of God envelop me. Later that night my experience of God’s love in this child was still pulsing in my heart. I realized then that she was an instrument of God’s love and peace.

As Christians, we are called to be instruments of God’s love and peace. We are called to echo the love of God which we experience most fully in Jesus Christ. Our reflection of God’s love can change people’s lives. Instruments no matter how they sound always grab people’s attention. By ourselves we carry a melody of God’s love and grace to people who may have never heard a sound so sweet. Their first instinct may be to ask, where does that sound come from? Together we can make a sound that will awaken the world and shake the foundations. Don’t be ashamed to open your lives, become vulnerable, and share the love of God. Let others know about the love of God by simply being around you. Reach out, extend your arms and embrace others. Don’t worry about how you will sound; all they will hear is the love of God echo in their soul.

No comments: