Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I am worth more than you!

We’ve been having some alliteration fun lately…

Pennies and prayers for Publix – Farmworkers in the fields are family too. I feel like I’ve been living it these words because we’re working on a new campaign with the CIW (Coalition of Immokalee Workers).

I recognize not everyone agrees with the work of the CIW. Some are still unsure what the CIW does. Others are fired up and ready to work along side of the CIW.

No matter your stance there is something we can all agree upon. On a social ladder farmworkers are at the bottom.

Sadly a social ladder leads us to say, “I am worth more than you.”

I am sure our Christian ears hear those words and it’s like a dagger in the heart. We know that no one is worth more than another. Yet this social ladder teaches us different. Each one of us subconsciously or consciously thinks we are worth more than others.

We put worth on a lot of things and it’s a way that we justify ourselves.

I am worth more than the farmworker – as a matter of fact most of them don’t even belong in this country. They are illegal. Their inhumane treatment is not my issue.

I am worth more than the person working on the side of the road who is in prison –they should be cleaning up our roadways. It gives them something productive to do for society. It’s not my fault they broke the law.

I am worth more than the homeless man who asked me for a couple of dollars – After all he really should just buck it up and get a job! I work hard for my money it’s not my fault he doesn’t have a job!

I am worth more than my neighbor who just foreclosed on their home. After all it’s not my fault they got themselves over their head in debt to the point they can’t handle it!

We need to stop finding our worth in the things of this world! It only leads us to destructive thoughts. Our worth doesn't come from the world it comes from the gift of life that God breathed into us. It comes from the movement of the Spirit in our lives. It comes from the saving grace given through Jesus triumph over death.

Living this reality gives us the challenge to see the world not as society would have us experience it but instead through the light of Christ. AMEN!!




If you would like to learn more about the current CIW campaign please check out this video or the website:



No comments: