Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Childlike Curiosity

A joy for me this summer was when an 80 year old volunteer at Vacation Bible School asked me, “How many brothers did Joseph have?”


I responded, “I am unsure and haven’t really thought about that question.”


The next day he informed me that there were twelve brothers. Even as a pastor I continue to learn more details. I grow in a deeper understanding of God’s people in scripture and what they reveal to us about God in our life today. Our conversations around scripture continued throughout the week. Each conversation was full of childlike curiosity and mature revelation.


These conversations brought me joy because often after a lifetime of studying scripture and hearing it week after week in worship most think we’ve heard it all. We feel there is no need to read again a story we assume we already know. Yet, as this 80 year old was reminded when he was teaching children. When we continue to read scripture there is always something more the Spirit reveals and new questions, new insights that emerge and in this our relationship with God grows.


My prayer is that we will (no matter our age), through scripture, continue to immerse ourselves in childlike curiosity and find mature revelation. As the Spirit reveals new questions and insights so we can emerge, into the world, living God’s Word in a new and vibrant way!

No comments: