Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Church (Thrift) Shopping

by Johanna Johnson

I would say that literally three quarters of my wardrobe comes from thrift shops. I’d like to think you’d never be able to tell; I frequently get compliments on what I wear.

It wasn’t always this way. In fact, I used to hate thrift shops. I hated walking in and being overwhelmed by the vast variety of articles, nothing the same as the next, no way to simply find what I wanted in a different size. I hated that I usually couldn’t walk in and immediately find something I liked, that finding anything worthwhile required effort and patience and sometimes more work than I wanted to put in. I hated that so many things seemed so old fashioned, too old for me, too worn out. Shopping should be easy, right?

How many of us have felt that way about church? That there are too many people or practices there we can’t relate to, that we can’t simply exchange one person or practice for something that fits us better. That we sometimes go to church and can’t find something we immediately like, and leave feeling like nothing really struck our fancy. That worship feels old fashioned, or worn out. Church should be easy, right?

I have certainly felt this way. But as it turns out, faith isn’t easy. Like a thrift shop, it requires a bit of effort. Like a thrift shop, if you are willing to put a bit of effort into it, and not sit back and just wait for it to come to you, you will inevitably find something wonderful. Sometimes I walk into a thrift shop and immediately see something I like; sometimes this happens in church, too. But more often than not, God isn’t speaking in ways immediately apparent to us. Hearing God’s Word requires some patience, some effort, and the willingness to be open-hearted. With this attitude, you are much more likely to find that treasure that God has in store for you.

No comments: