Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Feet

Where have your feet taken you?

Look back on your life – think of all the places you’ve lived, worked, played, visited, cried, sang, danced… Where have your feet taken you?

This past week my feet took me to San Francisco, CA. It is a part of the country I had not seen, smelled, or experienced before. I got to breathe in the rich smell of the redwood forest, the creatively made wines and admittedly the stench of the sea lions. I got to see the beauty of the vineyards, redwoods, Pacific Ocean, and the hilly city.

Each of these new experiences made me realize how much I have yet to see in this world. I have traveled quite a bit in my life, but there is still so much more to experience. God created a world so rich how can we not want to experience it all?

It is easy to want to experience the world around us. Yet, it can be difficult for us to experience God. I mean how do we experience a supreme being – not of earthly laws – who loves us even when we don’t love. Who longs for our devotion when we’re busy worshiping the things God has created instead of God.

Our feet may take us many beautiful places here on earth. However, the most precious place they can take us is a little disturbing – it’s not a place we would expect. The most precious place is when our feet stand at the foot of the cross. It is in this unexpected place that we can experience God.

It is natural to expect a supreme being – not of earthly laws – to be sitting in that high glorious throne waving a judging gavel at us. Yet, at the foot of the cross we see a God who suffers so we don’t have to suffer. A God who is not high on a throne but a God who is willing to go to the most vulnerable of places so we can know how much we are loved.

Where have your feet taken you?

No comments: