Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Experiencing the Holy

There seems to be a longing by humans to understand and experience the Holy. We search for the meaning of life. We long for relationship. We believe there has to be something larger than our self.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This past week a colleague of mine who does not define their faith as Christianity worshipped with us. She is a very spiritual creature of God who is open to the many forms in which people experience the Holy. I wondered when it was time for the Eucharist if she would come forward to partake in this Christian Sacrament.

To my surprise she walked forward during communion, opened her hands, and received the body and blood of Christ. After worship I said, “I’m surprised that you came forward for communion.”

She responded, “I could feel my grandma right there with me during communion.”

Knowing that her grandma was a faithful Christian while on earth, I sat there in awe with a smile on my face. I even had a moment of wondering if she understood the Sacrament of Holy Communion better than some of the people who receive the Eucharist every week. Communion is a way to experience the Holy in both an individual and collective way. It an individual reminder of God’s grace and forgiveness as you come to the table confessing your sins and asking for forgiveness. It is a collective gathering at the table of our Lord with all the saints who have come before us and all that will come after us.

So, my friend had it right. Her grandma was feasting in the warm grace of God’s love with her as she was taking communion. Oh, yes – there is something much larger out there than our self! And every now and then we get to experience a glimpse of the Holy.

No comments: