Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Sing!!

I remember worshiping in Suriname, South America during the Lent season. In Lent it’s a liturgical rule not to say Alleluia. It makes the Easter morning Alleluia even more magnificent. As we were gathered in Suriname, in a little church about to worship, the opening song had so many Alleluias in it I didn’t know what to do. We aren’t supposed to say Alleluia, it’s Lent. I thought, “Maybe I should not sing.”

Then my heart sank as those thoughts ran through my head. It’s Lent and I’m worshipping with my brothers and sisters from Suriname! I couldn’t think of a better reason to belt Alleluia from the top of my lungs! So I sang.

If I hadn’t sang that day I wonder what my brothers and sisters would have thought my actions were saying. Sure I was breaking a Lenten rule but it was out of joy and love. It was about an encounter with God in a new place with new people.

I often find when talking to people about who God is and how God works in their life we often get caught up with a God of “morals” and “right vs. wrong.” Yet, God asks us to do one thing – Love your neighbor! I hope on this year’s Lenten journey you encounter the living and transforming God of grace and love. Now that’s something to SING about!

No comments: