Tuesday, May 3, 2011

What’s there to stop him?

By: Joseph Murdy
When I started college every freshman was given an obnoxious key chain to hang from around our necks. We were told over and over not to lose our key, and to take it everywhere…even to the shower. Year after year, and speech after speech it made no difference. Dozens of us still found a way to lock ourselves out of our dorms. I was there no more than a week, and found myself stunningly surprised that I had forgotten my key as I was trying to get back into the dorm after a shower. There I was in my towel, holding my shower caddy, flip-flops and wet hair…with no key!
When I read John 20, this is the first thing that came into my mind. Instead of being locked out and unable to get in, the disciples locked everyone else out and secured themselves inside. Twice in this story about Jesus’ first appearance the doors were said to be locked and yet Jesus stood among them saying, “peace be with you.” When we are afraid, embarrassed, vulnerable, guilty, lonely, or terrified we tend to lock the door of our heart. We expect that no one will be able to hurt us there, in our safe place, or should I say…in our hiding place. When we feel ashamed for our sins, afraid of what the world will say, or afraid of what’s on the other side of the door we can rest in the comfort of knowing that Christ is always with us. In our pain, doubt, and disappointments, Christ is there. Sometimes we try to hide ourselves away from the world and even God, but the truth is God will never abandon us…no matter what. Even if we’ve been locked up for longer than we can remember, no door can stop God’s love. If Christ can conquer death and the grave, what’s there to stop him?

No comments: