Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Lunar Eclipse

On Tuesday morning there was a total lunar eclipse on the winter solstice! Did you see it? I mean if you did then you must be crazy. It started in the wee hours of the morning, 1:33am EST. I admit I am one of the crazies and was actually outside at 3:37am checking it out. I noticed the neighbors were out too. Later I went to work and sure enough talked with numerous people old and young who were outside looking high in the sky for a unique experience. It was unique. According to NASA the last total lunar eclipse that happened on the winter solstice was Dec. 21, 1638. The next one will be Dec. 21, 2094. It really was a once in a life time experience.

Once in a lifetime experiences don’t always happen at our convenience. Yet, sometimes those experiences are the transforming, life-changing ones. I believe we are so used to hearing the Christmas Story that it has become a norm. We don’t question how odd and unique this reality must have been for Joseph and Mary.

I can’t even imagine being Mary – “Umm, Joseph you know how we’re getting married? You know that I am a virgin. But I have to tell you I’m pregnant. I swear it’s from the Holy Spirit not another man. I promise honey.”

I am so glad that scripture doesn’t leave out the part about logical feeling – Joseph has his head on straight he planned to dismiss Mary quietly (Matthew 1:19). She is clearly either cheating on him or completely Looney. Then the angel appears and sure enough… Joseph stayed with her and took her as his wife.

This really is a once in a life-time experience. We marvel at God’s creation and gather in the wee hours of the morning to watch a shadow cast on the moon. That is glorious – but what happens when a drop of the Creator hits creation?

Now that is something that doesn’t just gather us in the wee hours of the morning. That is a glorious event that drops us to our knees everyday of our life.

I am on my knees wishing you a Merry Christmas!!

No comments: