Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Powerful Grace

We have been given grace through Christ not because of what we do, but because we are loved children of God. Grace is a hug given without intent. It is not a hi, goodbye or thanks it is simply an unexpected, undeserved warm embrace. Grace is a foot hold that appears when we have lost our grip. Grace is a flower that is able to bloom through the snow. If we are too busy sometimes we miss it, but it doesn’t mean it’s not there.

I was recently remembering a powerful experience I had that was full of grace. I was at a praise service where the children gather in the isle during the songs to dance. The congregation gathers at the font for confession and at the altar for communion. I was walking up to communion looking at the children so full of life and I was feeling spiritually weak. I was tired and distraught. The words of institution started and all I could think was, “God I don’t think I’m cut out to be a pastor. I am weak and don’t think I have it in me to be a shepherd for your people.” As my eyes close to say the Lord’s Prayer I couldn’t even speak the words. Then I noticed a little child’s fingers weaving into mine. I was caught by surprise that this child who didn’t know me suddenly grabbed a stranger’s hand. I looked around the room and no one else was holding hands. At that moment I thought, "Thanks for holding my hand God; I really need it right now." A simple thing that the child didn't realize changed my world. Now that is the power and grace of God.

No comments: