Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Cleaning up Leaf's

Every summer since I graduated from college in 99 my college friends and I get together at my parent’s cabin in Michigan.

A few summer's ago when we got together my friend’s child, Alex was with her. He was 3 years old (and now is 7) and has been at the cabin every year since he was in the womb.

And the year he began walking and talking he enjoyed hanging out with my father. Since I haven’t provided grandchildren yet, my father was especially enjoying it. My father, Dale, was spending most of his time fixing the boat. The boat had not been used for over a year because it needed a new gas tank. It was finally fixed and needed to be cleaned. It was full of leafs and dirt. And my father decided to ask Alex to be a big helper and clean out the leaf’s.

I was standing on the sidelines and began to watch this 3 year old begin to pick up the leafs and throw them over the side of the boat into the water. Alex did not do it as I would have done it. I would have complained and then grabbed as many of them in my arms as I could and throw them into the water.

Instead, Alex would get under dash of the boat grab one leaf, climb back up on the seat and took a moment to look at the leaf because each one had a different shape and different color. He would let go of it slowly and then watch it float down to the water and stair at the ripple it would leave on the water.

He would then climb down off the seat, go under the dash, climb back on the chair, look at the leaf, let go, and watch it drop down to the water and look at the ripple it left. At first I was annoyed and wanted to jump on the boat and do the work in half the time. Jodi stopped me and said don’t you think you could use something like this in a sermon someday. So, I kept watching Alex take care with each leaf… I noticed he was smiling and joyful about the task he was asked to do. He was not complaining as I would have instead he was attentive to each leaf and paid close attention to each.

Thanks Jodi… I too needed a reminder.

The reminder of how God cares for us. God does not complain when we make mistakes or don’t take time to listen or talk with God. God cares for each one of us individually. God is watching the unique path that we take and God admires the unique ripple that we leave on the world though our love and actions!

No comments: