Wednesday, March 31, 2010

“Excuse me, that’s my seat, can you move over?”

“Excuse me, that’s my seat, can you move over?”

Not such a welcoming way to be invited into a new worship space. Yes, those words have been spoken at my church. When I first heard it, I stood in disbelief. I mean I know we joke about how we are creatures of habit and often sit in the same area, but to ask someone to move?

This past week, as I was walking down the aisle prior to worship I was stopped by two regular worshippers as they were getting their seats. I greeted them and they said, “We had to come early this week because other people were in our seat last week.”

I questioned, “Did you ask them to move?”

“Of course not, but we did come early this week.”

Is this because we know what we like? We want the right view, close to a speaker, near a fan, far from an A/C vent. It really is about comfort – I know on my couch at home I have a certain spot I like to sit in. Comfort is great – but it seems there becomes a point when comfort becomes a hindrance.

I was talking to a friend of mine who will occasionally attend an organized church service. I encouraged her to worship this week since it is Holy Week. She responded, “Well, I fear I’ll sit in someone’s seat.”

The visitor is showing empathy for the regular worshipper’s comfort – now that – blew me away. I never thought of it that way before. Then I realized that Jesus and his disciples never really had a chance to get comfortable. They were always on the move and in a new place. Maybe a reality we face in our current culture is that the church today has become too comfortable. And if that’s the case then is this a reason why so many don’t attend organized church services? People don’t know how to get in the club? or People don’t want to be a part of a club and therefore worship on their own?

Whatever the answer’s I cannot deny there is so much more behind, “Excuse me, that’s my seat, can you move over?”

1 comment:

Katelyn said...

Hi, noticed a link to your blog on PrettyGoodLutherans.

I agree with you; I do think, perhaps, that the church has become too comfortable. I think we've become too comfortable with the building being church vs church existing as community. I think we have become too comfortable in our traditions and liturgy; of course both are important and to be held in high regard, but we must find new ways to be church that speak to our culture today while remaining faithful to God and that do not abandon the core of who we are as church.

And to comment on the "that's my seat" - I admit, I have purposely sat in someone's "seat" on a Sunday morning before at the church I have grown up in - not out of rudeness, but out of a curiosity to see just how "overly comfortable" we are. Sometimes they sit elsewhere or sometimes they sit by me and we get to talking, which is good :) But I have never been asked to move, though that is probably because they've seen me around. I think we are more likely to ask newcomers to move, which is unfortunate.

I enjoyed this post :)