Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Stand in the Rain

Honestly, a pastor does just about everything. I bet you could say the same about your profession. So, I'm sure you understand. I have done the obvious hospital and shut-in visits, preached, and led worship but beyond that I have been to the court house for an adoption, ran after trash down the road, learned how to use Microsoft Publisher, taken care of a dead bird the parking lot, visited the local jail, led services at nursing and funeral homes, sat with people in mourning, stripped and waxed the floors, put toliet paper in the church bathroom, facilitated fund-raisers, and many other opportunities that would take to long to list.

I almost feel I can say, “You name it, a pastor does it.”

All of this can be down-right tiring and overwhelming. One day I was driving to the hospital with no energy left. I knew that I needed to visit a few people, but had expended most of my energy to others earlier in the day. Then a tropical down pour started.

I really did not want to go into the hospital. I was thinking I can skip one day, would it really hurt?I pulled into the parking lot and sat in my car with the engine off debating if I really wanted to get that wet. Then I thought, “I need to be washed clean!” I opened the door, stood up and put my face to the sky and stood there. After a few moments I looked around as everyone was rushing to shelter. The rain felt so good (and I was drenched). I walked slowly to the hospital entrance as I felt the rain wash away every ounce of pain I was carrying from myself and others. In the craziness of life we need to remember and let God wash us clean daily, and God will renew our soul.

Psalm 103
Bless the LORD, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Bless the LORD, O my soul, and do not forget all his benefits-- who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the Pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good as long as you live so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.

No comments: