Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Get Down!!

My father and I love to go canoeing. We have been down many rivers together. We were actually a great team and decided one year to take on one of the toughest rivers in Michigan, the Pike River. I didn’t realize what I was getting myself into. The river was very fast and extremely small so there was not much maneuverability. Most surprisingly it had so many turns that I couldn’t see what we were about to encounter 50 feet in front of us.

We were on the river for three days. I’ll never forget rounding a corner and all the sudden I saw a tree that had fallen all the way across the river. It was so low that I wasn’t sure the boat could fit, the river was fast and we didn’t have much time to react. I yelled at my father… “GET DOWN!” We both hit our knees so fast that we had bruises the next day. We luckily made it under the tree! On that trip down the river I was “on my knees” more than in the seat. When canoeing the lower you are in the boat the more control you have of the boat.

This lent maybe we need to get down on our knees so we can give control to God.

No comments: