Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Who Baptized You?

Who baptized you? Is your first thought of the Pastor? No! It’s bigger than that… it was God!

It is the God of our baptism who in Genesis created the heavens and the earth, separated the light and the dark, made the waters and dry land, made night and day, gave life to the vegetation, the creatures of the water, the birds of the air, and the animals of the dry land. It is the God of our baptism who formed humankind from the dust of the earth and breathed into its nostrils the breath of life.

It is the God of our baptism who comes to Elijah in the silence. The silence of when all hope is lost and God feeds his child so he can once again be “zealous for the Lord.”

It is the God of our baptism who reveals his love even in the depths of suffering found throughout the book of Job.

It is the God of our baptism who the psalmist praised and cried out to in lament. Ps. 40, “I waited patiently for the Lord; he inclined to me and heard my cry. He drew me up from the desolate pit, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure.”
Ps. 23, “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside still waters; he restores my soul.”

It is the God of our baptism who can come to us through a virgin womb.

It is the God of our baptism who gave his only Son. “For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life. Indeed, God did not send this Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.”

Jesus revealed to us the God of our baptism. God’s self-giving, self-humbling, unending love for humankind.

This is a God who plunged us down into the waters of baptism and brought us up out of death's grip---like God did for Jesus.

It is the God of our baptism that keeps – the Church and the people of God living today.

No comments: