Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Advent Brights

Over Thanksgiving I was blessed to be with my family in Michigan, where I grew up. I have lived most of my life in the small town of Cedar Springs, MI. However, for the past 7+ years I have lived in larger cities.

When I visit Michigan there is always something that catches me off guard. Usually, something that used to be common place. Life in the city makes me forget some of the realities of country living.

In the city I often use my brights to remind a fellow driver that they forgot to turn on their lights. It is actually easy to forget to turn on your headlights because there are so many streetlights you don’t need headlights to see. One night when I was driving home in the country I was having trouble seeing. Then I remembered I have the option to turn on my brights. So, I turned on the bright lights and suddenly the street was much more visible. I almost forgot that I had to option to use bright headlights to see well.

We can get so caught up in everyday living that we limit our interaction with the world. This happens even in our life of faith. Something we’ve always understood about God can change when we see a bigger picture, beyond our focused reality.

God continues to reveal himself/herself in numerous ways and at different times. Just as my bright lights were used for warning someone in the city they are also used to light a clear path in the country. Both are true. This is why we can have so many debates about how God interacts with the world. This is why we believe in one God with three names the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. This Advent as we light more candles each week may God illuminate his interaction with the world just as he did on the day of Jesus birth.

No comments: