Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Do you carry a bottle of Purell?

I just read an article titled, “Goodbye, Hand Shake.” Yep, you guessed it… the question on the table is will H1N1 spell end of the handshake greeting? Some churches have stopped sharing the peace with one another in fear of spreading a virus. Some pastors have stopped shaking hands with parishioners after services. The common cup at Communion is switching to individual cup. It’s becoming more and more common to carry a bottle of Purell with you at all times.

Recently, I was in the airport. As I was checking out with a bottle of water the clerk asked, “Would you like a bottle of Purell with this?”

I responded, “Is it free?”

“Nope.”

“Then I’ll pass I already have a bottle in my purse.”

That’s right not only is it being pushed at a check out in the airport, but I too am guilty and carry a bottle with me. It’s almost a new addiction. So, the question I struggle with is: What does this new fear of touch mean for the Christian community?

After all we are a community already hurting in the age of technology. Now we add the element of physical-virus-spreading-contact!

As I am thinking about this and reading scripture, I had to laugh out loud when I read the story of the blind man in Mark 8. Jesus is asked to touch him so he will be healed. As I am debating this hand shake issue I was intrigued by the story because Jesus takes the blind man by his hand. However, I had to laugh out loud when the story got even better. Jesus spits on him!

Now I am not encouraging us to spit on one another, we’re not Jesus. However scripture reveals to us a healing element in touch.

In Matthew 8 Jesus stretched out his hand and touched a Leper so he may be healed.

In Mark 10 people were bringing their children to Jesus so he may touch them.

In Matthew 9 a woman who was living with a lifelong hemorrhage reached out to touch Jesus cloak so she may be healed.

Now we may not have the healing powers of Christ, but there is something special – life giving in touch. Current day research verifies this reality. Children must be held, people who hug get sick less, and even a soft nudge of a cat or dog has the power to lower blood pressure.

I don’t know… I’d rather risk physical-virus-spreading-contact than give up the physical-healing-power-of-touch.

1 comment:

GeoTrix said...

They say that children (students) AND adults are supposed to have 13 positive, non-sexual touches per day to be well-adjusted humans.