Wednesday, September 9, 2009

el Verbo

I used to babysit an 8 year old, Miles. He was one of those kids with endless amounts of energy. I’ll never forget one day when I showed up to the house. I wasn’t halfway up the stairs to the door when I noticed Miles getting off this bike and running up the stairs ahead of me.

He turned around and with excitement and joy and yelled, “Dana, I was playing baseball in the park.”

I said well, when I talked to your mother she said you were playing soccer.
“I did that too.”

I pointed at the bike, “And now you’re bike riding what else did you do today.”

He smiled and said, “I went swimming.” All I could do was laugh.

Then he asked me to go play. I was overwhelmed by his energy and the fact that he was in action all day and could have kept going all night (and trust me he did). If I become overwhelmed with the amount of action a child has… how can I even begin to grasp the amount of action that God has in our lives.

Do we realize how active God is? John writes, “And the Word became Flesh.” The Greek, logos in English is translated as Word. The logos made Flesh. The Word made Flesh. What is interesting is that the Spanish Bible translates logos as el Verbo, which in English translates to Verb. The Verb made Flesh. The Spanish translation gives a much more active interpretation of God in our lives.

May we become more aware of how el Verbo, the Word, God is taking action in our lives. So, that God’s love may be shared, borrowed, given, and reminded of, to one another and the world!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

And isn't there something somewhere about "And they shall leap about like calves from the stall"?

Pastor Dana said...

Psalm 29:6
He makes Lebanon skip like a calf, and Sirion like a young wild ox.

The NLT translates "leap like a young bull."

My favorate was the KJV translates: "young unicorn" instead of ox.

Maybe unicorn's are real after all?!?

another good one:

Isaiah 35:6
then the lame shall leap like a deer, and the tongue of the speechless sing for joy. For waters shall break forth in the wilderness, and streams in the desert;