Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Change happens.

By Johanna Johnson

By way of introduction, I am Johanna, the new intern at Christus Victor Lutheran Church, and Pastor Dana asked me to cover for her this week while she is at Churchwide Assembly in Minneapolis.

Churchwide Assembly – now there is something to think about. Every two years, this body of Lutherans meets and discusses the direction – theologically, biblically, socially – of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. Inevitably, there will be changes. They may or may not be changes the average pew-sitter notices, but there will be changes nonetheless. I can relate. I just moved from Connecticut to Northern California to Southwestern Florida all in the course of about two months. I went from living with a roommate, to living with my family, to living by myself and far from anyone I know. I’m living somewhere where it goes from sunny and bright to rain, thunder and lightening in five minutes’ time. Change happens. Sometimes it hurts bad, like a kick in the stomach; sometimes it hurts good, like a much needed massage. Sometimes it feels glorious and refreshing; sometimes it feels disconcerting. Always, I have to believe, it is what God had in mind.

Doesn’t God say though Isaiah, “I am about to do a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?” (43:19). And again, “From this time forward I make you hear new things, hidden things that you have not known” (48:6). Change is a part of this life, a part of this faith. The Spirit is moving, and who is to say we know where she blows? I have to trust that, even if it is one of those disconcerting, badly hurting changes, God will use this. And if we listen to those new things, those new hidden things that we have not known, I have confidence that God will show us how this, too, can bring a bit closer the Kingdom of God.

No comments: