Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Poverty and Wealth

I asked high school students where they saw poverty throughout the week. I received three answers.


  1. While I was watching COPS on t.v.

  2. When I drove by a man who was homeless

  3. At the Café of Life when the group was gathered under the banyan tree for their daily bread.

Then I asked, “Where have you seen wealth?” The response could have gone on forever. In our own homes, in the homes of those I visited, in the pool, the big screen t.v. I watched, the gate I drove through to get home, the car I ride in, the three large meals of my choice, the stores…

Being wealthy and being surrounded by wealth alters the way in which we view reality. The prophet Nehemiah was a man of wealth yet the Spirit led him to be a passionate organizer and advocate for the poor. In Nehemiah chapter 5: 1-13 he offers an “economic stimulus” plan where the rich no longer take advantage of the poor in order to get the city of Jerusalem rebuilt.

Living in an area where wealth flows through the streets does not mean that the Spirit of God isn’t at work. However, it does call us to be more aware of the power it wields. Wealth does alter the way we view reality – Jesus even challenges a man who wonders what he can do to receive eternal life to go and sell everything he owns and give the money to the poor – Jesus explains that he will receive his treasure in heaven (Mark 10:21).

I think we need to be inspired by prophets like Nehemiah who the Spirit led to have a heart for the poor. Maybe we will someday learn to not use our wealth to get what we want – when we want it – but, instead, to use it to change the life of our neighbor who needs it.

After all when Jesus is asked what is the greatest commandment? He responds, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself (Luke 10:27).”

Let the Spirit lead us to notice our abused neighbors and give us the heart and opportunity to reach out with the love first given to us through Christ.

No comments: