Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Emotions are Powerful!

I was talking with a friend last night about relationships. We were noting the different expectations and ways in which we treat our friends, lovers, and family members. I have some friends who can hurt me and I immediately forgive; and friends that can hurt me the same way and I hold onto a harmful grudge. I treat my father different than my mother; and my sister different than both parents.

My reaction in these different relationships isn’t something I have control over. Actually, I often try to react with my head; “Don’t treat mom like that, she doesn’t deserve it.” “Why am I getting so mad over one word in an email when I don’t even know if they meant what I read?” “Don’t get upset that person isn’t ignoring me on purpose, they are busy with their own life.”

Even if we have good control over our emotions we cannot ignore them. I have heard many times throughout life, “I wish I had an on/off switch for my emotions. It would make life so much easier.” All of us spend a great deal of energy trying to control our emotional reactions.

In the Gospel of Mark we read a lot about the humanity of Jesus. Jesus’ emotions are weaved throughout the gospel: pity 1:41, anger 3:5, wonder 6:6, compassion 6:34, indignation 10:14, cranky 8:17, love 10:21, distressed and agitated 14:33, grieved 14:34… these emotions help us identify more with Jesus. They also, show us the power of God to identify with us.

Emotions are what make us react to injustice so we can reach out with love. They help us empathize with one another so we can share in joy and sadness. We may want to turn off our emotions but they have the power to move us forward. They have the power to help us reach out to be in relationship with others. In a sense our emotions keep us connected with God and with one another.

Our challenge is to make love our driving emotion. Jesus is asked, “Which commandment is first of all?” He responds, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.' The second is this, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these." (Mark 12:28-31)

No comments: