Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Easter Sunday Sermon

Christ has risen! He has risen indeed, Alleluia!

Christ has risen! He has risen indeed, Alleluia!

These words that we hear every Easter morning I often wonder if we grasp the power of what we’re saying. I wonder if we realize the impact of Christ rising from the dead, of the empty tomb, and of Mary’s words, “I have seen the Lord”. I wonder if we have become so accustomed to our faith – that these words are obvious – and no longer full of the wonder that was experienced by Mary and the disciples that blessed morning. Do we realize the transforming reality of what this means for us… how it transforms our very essence as children of God?

As most of the locals around here experience we have an influx of visitors during this season in Florida. Our homes often become a “guest house” and we spend more time than normal cleaning linins and visiting the tourist sites.

Last week I had my friend Jodi and her 6 and a half year old son (don’t forget the half) in town visiting during their spring break. One of the days we were touring the area we went down to the everglades. I’ve been on airboat rides in the glades a few times in my life. This airboat ride was a little different than normal.

As we were waiting for the boat ride suddenly Alex became Anakin from Starwars and I became Padme. We were about to get on a pod racer to enter into unknown territory and outrun the enemies (alligators). Alex was armed with his light saber that can win any fight. I asked Anakin if he was going to protect me. He said there was no need because I was armed with a gun. I didn’t even know that Padme carried a gun – but that day as we stepped onto the boat it was a much more exciting world for Alex.

I too can remember being a child and thinking I could be anything. One day I could be Superman flying around to save people. The next moment I could be Herself the Elf with a powerful wand that I could wave around and change the world. Then one day without warning, I woke up to never again to wave that wand around. Someday Alex will wake up never to pull out his light saber again. I don’t remember that day of “enlightenment” but in retrospect it was a very sad day. Something inside of us dies on that day. Whatever that something is it is a thing of dreams, wonder, and imagination. Even at the age of six Alex knows he can’t really pull out a light saber – but that’s not the point. The point is that he thinks with that light saber he can change the world.

There is still a voice deep within ourselves – knocking on the door wanting to be heard. We often hush it with logic and earthly things. Even Mary on that morning when she showed up at the tomb was thinking with logic. Jesus is missing! Where is his body? Someone must have taken him!! Even when Jesus speaks to her she doesn’t recognize who he is – he must be the gardener. Then when Jesus speaks her name there must have been a moment when that voice deep inside of her knocked louder than normal as she cries out “Teacher.” It is then that Mary can speak what must be the craziest words – “I have seen the Lord.”

I can’t imagine what it must have been like for Mary to see the Lord that morning. I wonder if it is at all similar to the garden of Eden when Adam and Eve’s eyes were open and could not comprehend the staggering beauty of God’s new creation; Or when the man born blind felt the scales fall from his eyes and the explosion of color and shapes that bombarded his mind for the first time; or when the leper felt a surge of electricity through his body, as his dead and rotting skin suddenly transformed into the fresh skin of a baby; or when the bitter, hopeless prostitute looked up fully expecting judgment and death – instead heard words of forgiveness, hope, and life.

Christ rising from the dead changes everything. It moves the scary cross we saw placed in front of this empty alter on Friday to a cross now placed by a life-giving baptismal font today. God breaks the rules and overcomes death – God is not a God solely of “right” and “wrong” – a God who teaches right living – faith in Christ is more than life-enhancing – it is life-giving! Jesus’ love doesn’t change us into “nice people” it changes us into children of God.

In effect Jesus says to the world, “You can have your rules. I’ll keep giving my children the dream, wonder, and hope that they can change the world with love.”

Jesus says, “I am ascending to my father and your father, my God and your God.” It is only in Jesus that we can know what it means to live as a child of God.

So, let us proclaim what Mary was able to on that blessed morning with childlike wonder!

Christ has risen – He has risen indeed, Alleluia!

No comments: