Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Lenten Journey

I was driving in this crazy traffic that seems to fill our streets these days. As I was waiting at one of those extra long stop lights I was getting antsy and frustrated because I needed to get to my next destination. It was a nice day and most drivers had their windows down. I noticed the man next to me started to whistle. His whistling came through loud and clear and instead of annoying me it began to relax me.

I began to let him share his excitement and energy with me. He had no clue the peace that his whistling brought me, but I began to remember how important it is to live in the present. I was busy trying to rush to the next place. If I hadn’t stopped to listen to him whistle I would have missed the moment that brought me peace. I don’t know about you but I often spend so much time preparing and running for the future I forget to live in the now.

This Lent let’s not rush to the cross and the resurrection as we look forward to Easter. Let us embrace this day and what the Lenten story has to share with us in our lives now.

No comments: