Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Life-giving waters

John 7: 37-38

"On the last day of the festival, the great day, while Jesus was standing there, he cried out, 'Let anyone who is thirsty come to me, and let the one who believes in me drink. As the scripture has said, 'Out of the believer's heart shall flow rivers of living water.'

living water? This came to mind this morning after our staff devotions. I went to the sink and filled my glass with water. I brought the water into my office and proceeded to put the water in a plant that was given to me 4 weeks ago from the staff as a welcome gift. I then noticed Jack, our office manager, standing close by. I again thanked him for the gift and said look how beautiful it still looks. He smiled and said, "Oh, you're watering it? I wouldn't even have bothered and it would be dead by now." Water is life-giving!

Water is essential to this plant and it has no way to get water unless I water it. I suppose the roof could get a hole in it - but I hope that doesn't happen. So, it's up to me to water it.

As humans, most of us have the capability to fill up our own water glasses and drink. Yet, I don't think that Jesus is talking simply about water giving life here on earth! Jesus only a few chapters earlier offered living water to the woman at the well. She had all the water she needed in the well - so Jesus is offering something different.

Are we able to let go of everything we hold on to so tightly and let go to receive the everlasting gift of living water that Jesus is offering? We tend to try to do and have control over everything ourselves. Yet, we must remember that we too need to be watered! So, I hope this week you're able to stand still long enough that you may be watered.




No comments: